To kick off our ‘Young Designers Survival Prize Pack’ for summer, we have teamed up with Make it in Design, the Art & Business of Surface Pattern Design e-course & The MOYO Directory. All summer we are going to reward all graduates for 2014 with prizes which will kick start their summer and first year in industry after completing their degree. Make it in Design are launching a new Module 3 for the Art & Business of Surface Pattern Design e-course, they have kindly offered one place for 1 lucky reader on the course (worth £359.)
Module 3 is a five week online course where you will learn everything you need to know to monetise your designs! The classroom is accessible 24/7 so you can join us from anywhere in the world, and fit the course into your busy life. The course includes freelancing, licensing, selling outright, manufacturing and more! Module 3 includes free access to leading trend forecasting site Stylesight for a limited period AND our little black book of industry contacts!
How to Enter
Comment with your favourite surface pattern designer in the comments below.
It includes the following:
• How to identify multiple streams of income for your designs
• How to sell and license your designs (what they don’t teach you at art school)
• The ins and outs of freelancing
• How to get into manufacturing your own product
• How to choose the right distribution channel for you
• How to negotiate a contract that is right for you
• How not to get ripped off
• How to manage your time and money
• How to manage stock levels
• How to get a job in design
• How to stay motivated & make money
• How to create a pattern portfolio to show to potential clients
• How to apply patterns to mock up product templates and room sets
• How to turn a placement print into a technical repeat for wallpaper or fabric
• How to design a Trade Show Brochure in Adobe Illustrator
• Invaluable industry info such as colour print specifications for both paper goods & textiles
You will this by actually creating a mini portfolio for potential licensing clients, a trade show plan and a business development plan. PLUS you will learn everything you need to know about trade shows (getting in, getting ready, getting customers) AND our money-can’t-buy bonus little black book of industry contacts! And if that wasn’t enough, you also get full access to leading trend forecasting site Stylesight for 90 days (this alone is worth more than the entire cost of the course!
Free subscription through to 31st January. The MOYO directory gives you direct access to talented designers from across the world for free. Search by design expertise, browse portfolios, find out more about them and contact designers directly. Use the search function to help you find your designer now. The MOYO directory is a one stop shop for companies looking to hire talent or find freelancers so you need to be part of it! Showcase your work, share your social media links and network with other designers – all for less than the cost of a single advert on any leading design blog.
MOYO directory was founded by internationally acclaimed surface pattern designer Rachael Taylor and award-winning entrepreneur Beth Kempton to connect designers worldwide with job opportunities, and provide a place to showcase their work in the company of other designers. Rachael and Beth are also co-founders of MOYO, the world’s first online magazine dedicated to surface pattern design and the wildly popular design school ‘The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design’.
- Entries must be made by Monday 16th June Midnight GMT.
- You are allowed one entry per day via Twitter or Comment(s).
- Please use your correct email when entering via comments below (so we can contact you if you win.)
- Design Juices will pick the winner at random, our say is final.
- The course starts January 12th – February 14th 2015.
- Anyone can enter, giveaway not exclusive to graduates.
Young Designers Survival Prize Pack
The Young Designers Survival Prize Pack is going to take place throughout June and July, we wanted to reward graduates and Design Juices readers with a selection of prizes which would be perfect for all creative graduates this summer!